Thursday, September 20, 2007

In-Class Blog Assignment

IKEA's new branding campaign is using social media by creating a very hip, very 21st century slogan, "Home is the Most Important Place in the World." And they are actually utilizing the social media by combining that slogan with free internet broadcasting on YouTube and other media outlets. This spot invokes a certain emotion into the viewer that makes you feel are warm and cozy about IKEA. I personally felt like going out and buying a futon after my previous interest in IKEA was intensified by this extremely clever placement. The IKEA television spot is obeying the guidelines that Solis has thrown out there. LIke he says, audiences are becoming more and more difficult to latch onto physically, or traditionally. Audiences must now be targeted where you know where to find them; social media pipelines. It was inevitable that marketing would soon become a hybrid cooperation of all technological mediums. The UK version of the "home" theme is a more definiite, tangible description of what IKEA is trying to say that the home is. To be honest they both invoke a high level of sentiment within myself in completely different ways. With IKEA, I feel like I have to go out and support this because the company and its products can help me to attain that feeling. The UK version doesnt so much even make me think about the organization or what they do but instantly creates that feeling for me.
--westonj OUT

No comments: